Important information when applying to adopt a pet:
Please fill out the appropriate application to adopt one of our pets that are currently looking for homes. We ask for 3 personal references and a veterinarian's phone number. If you currently do not have any pets in your home and have not in the last 2 years, we may waive the vet check. We must have all phone numbers listed in order to correctly process your application. Filling out an application does not mean that you will get the pet. Many factors will be considered such as if you are the first applicant, if you have the application filled out correctly, and if we feel that the animal will be a good fit for your household.
- Please fill out the entire online application. Links to the application are located at the top of this page.
- Be sure to have all of the correct information listed such as a vet telephone number. This will help us process the application much faster.
- Be aware that the process could take up to 7 business days, as we also will be doing a home
check before the animal is placed with you.
- No on the spot adoptions are made at any of our events
- We have the right to decline any application, for any reason!
- We will contact you by phone, e-mail, or mail upon approval or denial
- Once you have been approved for the pet of your choice, we then ask you to meet with the dog or cat you have selected before adoption for several hours, if you have not already done so.
At this time we will be able to answer any questions that you may have.
- NO pets will be adopted to anyone if they are going to be kept outside under any circumstances. We do not adopt to anyone with that plans on keeping outdoor pets.
- Please remember, Few Steps from Home is entirely all-volunteer-run, we are not paid, so please be patient with us, as many of us work and also have families of our own to take care of, along with many, many foster pets to care for.
Our Adoption Fees:
Our fees are DEPENDANT on what services, if any have been provided for the cat or dog you have chosen.
- Cats that have been spayed/neutered are $80.00 to $110.00
- Cats that have not been spayed/neutered are $60.00 to $80.00 plus a $50.00 spay/neuter deposit refundable after spay/neuter proof is shown
- Dog fees can range from $100.00 to $300.00 depending on the vet care we have provided,
how long they have been foster care or boarded at a facility
- Puppies under 4 months of age will be decided depending on the vet care provided, plus a $75.00 refundable deposit after spay or neuter proof is shown
****Any spay or neuter procedure that is to be completed by the new owner, must be completed within 2 weeks of their adoption. Proof must be provided to us for attachment to their adoption records that we keep.****
Adoption information for “Bully Breeds”:
- You must fill out the Pit Bull specific application. General dog applications will not be accepted when applying for a pit bull, and they will be returned to you.
- You must be 21 years or older. (some exceptions do apply, please ask)
- To adopt a Pit Bull or "Bully Breed" you can not be in a rental unit. You must own your home.(some exceptions do apply)
- You must be willing to allow us to do a home check.
Information about our adoptable pets:
- We are limited on many of the animals background information. Many come from animal controls across the country, so we only can take an educated guess on the background based on the animals behavior.
- Many animals come to us severally abused and neglected. Many need to go through extensive rehabilitation while in rescue.
- All animals in our care are temperament tested by a trained professional.
- Be aware that many rescued animals will not be perfect and will need ongoing care after adoption.
- We do not withhold any information be it good or bad about the animals being adopted.
- We strive to place all animals in our care into the "right" home, based on many things. By filling out the application, providing us with references, and allowing us if necessary, to come for a home visit, this enables us to get a better "feel" for the right home for both the animal as well as the family.
Thank you for your time and cooperation!